Sunday, July 26, 2009

i made it to Stillwater Lumberjack Festival...

it is surprising how life can be so incredibly enjoyable especially when you least expect it. i was just 'getting away', exploring, being myself, and this is where i ended up. i had no idea what would be in Stillwater, just a river, and a bridge- cool pictures right? yeah.
well after getting lost and finding some other stillwater boulevard 15 miles away i finally made my way down Myrtle st. which took me right to the river! coming over the top of that first hill it was almost a drop off down to the river. it was minnesota's version of san francisco i am pretty sure. Well i finally found myself on 2nd street and parked the jeep. grabbed noels camera and started walking. i walked down one huge hill and up the other side- walking towards church steeples- something that always catches my eye untill i get in front of them. it kind of makes me feel like i am back in spain.
i love being a stranger in a random town. when you get out of the car, you are the only person who knows who you really are. you can at this point fool anyone- be anyone you want. skinny jeans, flannel shirt, 'stunner shades' and a camera made me almost invisible in my eyes. i felt like i could be anything i wanted to be. in a way- i was me in truest form.
i walked a lot- everywhere- not just where the 'festival' was going on, but wherever i wanted. i finally made it to the congested part of town (made me a bit nervous) but it was an adventure. There were kids activities everywhere, music, dogs, everything. I have this theory that picture never really capture the true beauty of what you see...it only helps remind you, just so you dont forget. its true tho- you cant hear or feel or smell pictures. i felt like that was the case, even as i took pictures, it never really captured everything.
I found a precious couple just sitting down by the river, just watching. They asked about noels camera and if i was just taking pictures for personal reasons. I thought about it in my head- there should never be any other reason to take pictures. but the conversation was fun- thats where i found out it was indeed a lumberjack festival. i wandered farther and farther from my car untill i was in a word 'beneath it'. i wish i would have counted how many stairs i had to climb to get back to the park where i started at on 2nd street. i joined the 3 others climbing up the stairs. lets just say we were all out of breath. i was shocked there could be so many damn stairs!!! but the park at the top makes it all worth it (and my car was kinda up there too). the view: the world.
yes i got lost on the way back- how did you know? but i got to see the sunset from a whole other perspective. i love getting lost when you can find beauty in it. then its ok.
the drive back completed the journey. i love being alone and thinking, nothing serious, just thinking, just being. i am not really sure how i got so lucky as to be a part of the lumberjack festival july 25 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment